Campus Tour

A Tour of C of E Past and Present

August, 2006
Presented by John Spencer 1970                                                                                                                                  Updated by Webmasters

  The College of Emporia campus ground was donated, along with $35,000, by the City of Emporia and consisted of 38 acres. In 1886 classes were moved to the new location, west of town. This aerial view was taken around 1920.
  The first building, Stuart Hall, was completed in 1889. All that remained after the devastating fire of 1915 was the bell, which narrowly missed President Culbertson and Dean Schaffner, who were retrieving college records on the ground floor when it fell.  
  The bell was mounted and placed between Anderson Memorial Library and the
new administration building. It is now located in an attractive plaza just West of the Emporia Public Library. Accompanying the bell are the World War I and World War II Plaques from C of E.
 

 

Anderson Memorial Library was finished in 1902 and was the second building on campus. It was the first Carnegie library to be placed on a college campus. It had been restored to its early grandeur and was the repository for the Emporia State University archives. It is on the National Registry of Historic Places.

The following posting is located on the Emporia State University website. It is called "People of the Dome" and is about the signatures we placed our senior year in the Anderson Memorial Library. It is a great way to see if your name is still there. *Be aware that some names were painted over by the Way College.
Your name may not appear on the listing for that reason. 
    http://www.emporia.edu/libsv/archives/

 
  Mason Gymnasium was the third building on campus, finished in 1912. It served its purpose for the remaining days of the college. The location is now adjacent to the Cof E walk and part of the attractive park.  
  The student dormitories, Emporia Hall and Dunlap Hall, were built in the 1920''s. They have long been removed and replaced by green lawn and parking East of Sterling House.  

 

The new administration building, later known as Kenyon Hall, was partially completed in 1919. It consisted of the chapel and basement. The rest of the building was completed in 1924 and the facade was added by 1929.  The north wing of the building contained the music hall.

After the closing of C of E in 1974, the Way International used the building during it's tenure. Kenyon Hall was then owned by Rock of Life Church, Inc, but was sold in 2006 to Mitchell-Markowitz LLC., a development group.

Kenyon Hall, now named Kenyon Heights, is being gutted from the inside to make way for 47 units of affordable living space for people 55 and older. The construction budget is around $5.5 million.

 

 

 

 
 
 

Kenyon Heights first phase, eight one-bedroom and 16 two-bedroom units, are scheduled for completion by January 1, 2013. The second phase of 15 one-bedroom and eight two-bedroom units is schedule for completion by March 31, 2013.

 
  Lake Mergendahl was constructed to provide specimens for Professor Schaffner''s biology classes. It became more noted for the annual Tug-of-War matches staged at the beginning of each school year. The area has been beautifully restored and is on the C of E walk, immediately west of the Teachers Hall of Fame.  

  The original science hall was built in 1914, named after the Lewis Institute of Wichita, which merged with the college. It served until the Mabee Science Hall was constructed in the mid-1950''s.    
  The science hall has been converted into a Christian Schooland continues to be in a functional condition.    
  Vollmer Hall mens dorm, was built in the late 1950s. It is owned by Birch Telecommunication and has been the location of KVOE Radio Station.  
  Devore Campus Center was opened in 1965. It was owned for many years by the Emporia American Legion and is now owned by Birch Telecommunication.  
  The Laughlin-Lewis Library was dedicated in 1967 and represented a state-of-the-art modern library. It replaced the historic Anderson Library, which became a campus art center.  

 

At the conclusion of our tour, although it''s difficult to see our Kenyon Hall slowly deteriorate, and all the other changes that are inevitable with aging buildings, Anderson Library is in a beautifully restored state. C of E Park and its walk from 15th and Chestnut to Lake Mergendahl are very well done. Much of the campus remains, although in a somewhat altered state. I hope this visual tour will inspire many of our alumni and friends to visit. Such a trip is bound to stir memories of your days on the "Sunny Heights" of C of E.